[Servercert-wg] Ballot SC 13 version 3

Doug Beattie doug.beattie at globalsign.com
Tue Dec 4 14:30:41 MST 2018

I’m getting more “correct” and “sure” responses, so that’s good.  Just one last item.

Let me ask this question again.  Are the issue, issuewild or iodef records processed other than for existence?   If we assume:

subdomain.example.com <http://subdomain.example.com>  CAA 0 contactemail "domainowner at example.com <mailto:domainowner at example.com> "

subdomain.example.com <http://subdomain.example.com>  CAA 0 issue test.ca <http://test.ca>

When example.ca is attempting to perform domain validation for subdomain.example.com, are they permitted to validate the domain?  I understand this will fail later during issuance, but the question is: Is the CA required to look at and process the other CAA records when doing domain validation?  I’m assuming that the issue and issuewild are only used for issuance (as their name implies).  I just wanted to be sure that the domain validation process didn’t need to take these records into account to permit or block domain validation.