[cabfpub] Ballot FORUM-019 v.2 - Amend Server Certificate Working Group Charter - Discussion Period

Tobias S. Josefowitz tobij at opera.com
Fri Nov 17 16:06:39 UTC 2023

Hi Ben,

On Thu, 16 Nov 2023, Ben Wilson via Public wrote:

> *Ballot FORUM-019 v.2 - Amend Server Certificate Working Group Charter*
>
> *Purpose of Ballot*
>
> This ballot proposes to amend the Server Certificate Working Group (SCWG)
> Charter, based on existing version 1.2 of the Charter and on recent updates
> to the Forum?s Bylaws.

The updated membership criteria look really good now, thank you for your
work on that!

I also noticed the adjustments you made to the changes in 4(d).
Restricting the right to request a vote about (now: Voting) Membership
only to cases where "adherence to all of the requirements of the Forum's
Code of Conduct and section 3(a) or 3(b) of this Charter" is "challenged"
is at least better than restricting it only to challenges of meeting the
Membership criteria in 3(a) and 3(b).

However, I think there are different interpretations possible of what
adherence to the Code of Conduct entails. There is always the question of
where to draw the line of course, but that is not what I mean. I am more
concerned that the Code of Conduct opens with:

   "To maintain a professional and productive environment, it is necessary
   for Members of the Forum to follow the letter and spirit of this Code.
   This Code applies to all official Forum activities, such as meetings,
   teleconferences, mailing lists, conferences, and other Forum functions.
   The Forum is committed to maintaining a professional and respectful
   environment."

It has further language indicating that it is meant to apply to Forum
activities, such as "In connection with official Forum activities, all
Forum participants shall".

At the same time, the Code of Conduct contains some excellent provisions,
such as "Honesty and integrity are also paramount in all of our actions
and interactions." That is something that in itself would indeed cover
many cases of Members whose participation in the Forum might substantially
erode trust into the WebPKI ecosystem.

Hence I wonder what the intention is here with reference to the Code of
Conduct. Is it to cover such behaviour as would not be acceptable if it
were subject to the Code of Conduct, or is the intent here indeed to
restrict valid reasons for requesting a vote about (voting) membership to
only the formal membership criteria and behaviour in the Forum (presumably
during the intial 6 months probationary period) relevant to the Code of
Conduct?

Tobi