[cabfpub] Final Minutes for CA/Browser Forum Teleconference - January 5, 2023

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Tue Jan 24 07:08:08 UTC 2023

These are the approved Minutes of the Teleconference described in the
subject of this message, prepared by Andrea Holland (VikingCloud).

*Forum Meeting: January 5, 2023*

*Attendance (in alphabetical order):*

Aaron Gable (ISRG), Aaron Poulsen (Amazon Trust Services), Adam Jones
(Microsoft), Andrea Holland (VikingCloud), Atsushi Inaba (GlobalSign),
Ben Wilson (Mozilla), Bruce Morton (Entrust), Chris Clements (Google
Chrome), Chris Kemmerer (SSL.com), Clint Wilson (Apple), Corey Bonnell
(DigiCert), Corey Rasmussen (OATI), Daryn Wright (GoDaddy), Dean Coclin
(DigiCert), Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA), Dustin Hollenback
(Microsoft), Ellie (TrustAsia), Enrico Entschew (D-TRUST), Eva Van
Steenberge (GlobalSign), Fumi Yoneda (JPRS), Hazhar Ismail (MSC
Trustgate), Inigo Barreira (Sectigo), Jamie Mackey (FPKI), Janet Hines
(VikingCloud), Joanna Fox (TrustCor), Jos Purvis (Fastly), Karina Sirota
Goodley (Microsoft), Kiran Tummala (Microsoft), Lynn Jeun (Visa), Mads
Henriksveen (Buypass), Marcelo Silva (Visa), Marco Schambach
(IdenTrust), Michelle Coon (OATI), Mrugesh Chandarana (IdenTrust),
Nargis Mannan (VikingCloud), Peter Miskovic (Disig), Rich Smith
(DigiCert), Rollin Yu (Trust Asia), Sissel Hoel (Buypass), Stephen
Davidson (DigiCert), Steve Topletz (Cisco), Tadahiko Ito (SECOM), Tim
Hollebeek (DigCert), Tobias Josefowitz (Opera), Trevoli Ponds-White
(Amazon Trust Services), Wayne Thayer (Fastkt), Wendy Brown (FPKI),
Yoshiro Yoneya (JPRS)

*_Minutes_*

 1. *Roll called*
 2. *Antitrust statement read*
 3. *Reviewed Agenda*
 4. *Approval of minutes*: December 29^th meeting minutes approved
 5. *Forum Infrastructure Subcommittee* – Jos P.

  * Did not meet last week, no significant updates
  * Working on migration to new wiki which involves archiving the
    existing wiki and pulling items from there into the new wiki
  * Will be posting details and invitations to the management list

 6. *Code Signing Certificate Working Group* – Dean C. and Bruce M.

  * Did not meet last week, no significant updates
  * Continuing to work on ballot for cert revocation due to malware,
    signing service requirements and removing TLS BR references from CS BRs

 7. *S/MIME Certificate Working Group* – Dean C., Corey B., Inigo B.,
    Dimitris Z.

  * IPR period finished for the new BRs
  * Discussion on auditors developing audit criteria for the new
    requirements. WebTrust is aware and will do further discussions
    during their Toronto meeting
  * CAA discussion in IETF’s LAMPs WG, general support for adopting
    draft proposal for CAA for SMIME
  * Stephen also had some ERATA for future updates, he is generating
    GitHub issues for these minor issues

 8. *NetSec Working Group* – Clint W.

  * Did not meet last week
  * Continued discussion around the separation of concepts of offline vs
    air gapped vs unpowered HSMs and key materials to make sure the BRs
    clearly address the differences
  * Organization of NSRs to provide better introduction of NSRs without
    changing the goals but language to describe the intent of the
    various sections and components
  * Trev P.: Issues with the meeting it looked to be cancelled
      o Clint W.: Wiki has latest calendar invite for the meeting
      o Dimitris Z.: Same issue with forum calendar invite. An alias was
        created, so that whenever there is a change in chair positions
        only the password needs to be reset. This allows for management
        of the invitations without needing to create a new series of
        meetings. This would be a good idea for other meetings as well.
        But for WebEx best way to cancel the meetings is through the UI
        so all registrants get the notice.
  * GitHub Approvals
      o Dimitris Z.: Each WG has its own repository with review and
        approval from Chair and Vice Chair
      o Jos P.: A Code owner’s file exists in each of the repositories
        for each of the working groups.  To publish anything to the main
        branch of that repository (to formally update the BRs) requires
        two people to approve and one must be on the code owners list.
        So if someone wants to make a change, they go through the
        balloting process and then the chair approves the update and it
        requires another person for approval for sanity purposes to add
        to the main branch. At the moment only the Chair and Vice Chair
        can approve, so if either of them is out (especially for a long
        period) then we cannot get approval. If for instance, the Chair
        does the pull request, then the Chair cannot approve those
        changes and there is only one person, the Vice Chair, able to
        approve. There is no guidance or formal policy in this instance.
      o Dimitris Z.: That is the only corner case. If someone else (not
        the Chair or Vice Chair) does the pull request, then there are
        two people available to approve.
      o Jos P.: Yes, that could be one workaround making sure neither
        the Chair or Vice Chair does the pull request. Another idea is
        to leave the previous Chair and Vice Chair in the approvers
        group for use only in the corner case.
      o Dimitris Z.: The bylaws are clear on who does the change and
        it's either the chair or the vice chair. So, if we want to
        consider the GitHub repository as a normative, um, for the
        documents, I think we need to find a work around that.
        Absolutely requires one of the Chair or Vice Chair to perform an
        action there.
      o Aaron G.: The difference is between who can approve and who can
        merge.  A larger group of people could perform the code review
        effectively, but only the Chair or Vice Chair is allowed to
        click the merge button. We limit it to only the Chair or Vice
        Chair can merge to the repository, so we remain within the bylaws.
      o Tim H.: I agree with that. I think we're fine with the bylaws as
        long as the Chair/Vice Chair is the one actively making the
        change they can ask whoever they want for review. The bylaws
        don't say anything about who needs to review the change.  I
        don't like the idea of giving any weight to previous chairs as
        we have moved on from previous chairs.
      o Dimitris Z.: Aaron’s proposal great. Any comments on that?
      o Jos P.: That would be fine. Anybody can do any of the work and
        it'll be a four eye's approval process but only the Chair/Vice
        Chair can actually merge the code.
      o Dimitris Z.: Aaron can work with Jos to make the changes.

 9. *Any Other*

  * Dean C.: F2F has guest speaker lined up to discuss BGP hijacking and
    requested to have an additional person join with knowledge on the
    subject. They will be sharing the same timeslot.
  * Dimitris Z.: No objections.
  * Dimitris Z.: Other F2F
      o June 6-8 in Redmond, WA hosted by Microsoft
      o Sept/Oct in Portsmouth, NH hosted by GlobalSign

10. *Next Meeting*: Jan 19^th with Ben Wilson for minutes
11. *Adjourned*