[cabfpub] [Cscwg-public] [EXTERNAL] Re: Code signing and Time stamping

Adriano Santoni adriano.santoni at staff.aruba.it
Thu Apr 29 09:41:33 UTC 2021

Well, considering that Adobe is not currently a CABF member, I see no
context wherein time stamping plays a role, other than code signing.

Adobe already trusts qualified time stamping providers (according to EU
regulations) based on the EU trust lists, in the context of Document
Signing, and I am not aware that they may want to also trust time stamps
based on different criteria.

In theory, time stamping could be used to extend the validity of an
S/MIME signature beyond the signing certificate's expiration, but there
is no S/MIME client supporting this, and no plans to support it in the
future, so this is just theory. After all, S/MIME signatures are not
meant for the long-term.

Is there any other context that I am overlooking?

Adriano