[cabfpub] Code signing and Time stamping

Ben Wilson bwilson at mozilla.com
Tue Apr 20 16:08:45 UTC 2021

Just a few thoughts to move this conversation forward, and speaking as a
CSCWG interested party and not to advocate any position of Mozilla, I think
the answer depends on how strict or flexible the CABF wants to be as an
organization when it comes to interpreting the scope of a working group
charter.

It seems that the mention of time stamping in a code signing work product
would be allowed even under a strict interpretation.  While creating
standards for issuing and managing time stamping certificates would
certainly be out of scope with a flexible interpretation.

The Scope in the Charter does not expressly include or exclude the
assignment of a time stamping OID for time stamping certificates.
https://cabforum.org/2019/03/26/code-signing-certificate-wg-charter/#1-Scope

Included in the scope is "Version 1.0 Draft of November 19, 2015, Baseline
Requirements for the Issuance and Management of Publicly-Trusted Code
Signing Certificates (subject to the CSCWG making a written finding that
the provenance of such document is sufficiently covered by the Forum’s IPR
Policy)."  Time stamping was discussed in that draft, and I recall that the
CSCWG did make the required written finding of provenance.  Is the
assignment of a timestamping OID a logical outcome of the continued work on
that earlier document?

Ben