[cabfpub] DRAFT Ballot Forum-XX: Allow Informative Changes to Guidelines

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Wed Sep 11 02:17:26 MST 2019

I have prepared a draft ballot which is also posted at
https://wiki.cabforum.org/forum-xx_-_allow-informative-changes-to-guidelines.
I am looking for two endorsers to get a number and to proceed with the
official discussion period.

Thank you,
Dimitris.

  Ballot Forum-XX: Allow Informative Changes to Guidelines

The following motion has been proposed by Dimitris Zacharopoulos of
HARICA and endorsed by /_ of /_ and /_ of /_.

    Background

Following up on recent discussions,

  *
    At the last F2F in Thessaloniki
    <https://cabforum.org/2019/08/16/minutes-for-ca-browser-forum-f2f-meeting-47-thessaloniki-12-13-june-2019/#Instructions-for-creating-ballots-and-challenges-for-moving-canonical-versions-of-all-Guidelines-to-GitHub>
  *
    On the server certificate WG list
    <https://cabforum.org/pipermail/servercert-wg/2019-August/000896.html>

and since the current Bylaws (version 2.2) do not address how the Chair
or Vice-Chair could make any changes to the Final Guidelines or Final
Maintenance Guidelines, this ballot proposes a procedure that would
allow the Forum or WG Chair (or Vice-Chairs) to make some informative
changes to Final Guidelines and Final Maintenance Guidelines. Please
note that these practices are already in place and have been followed
for years without any “official” approval from the Forum or a WG and
without having received any objections by the Membership.

Since this is language that would normally be in the Bylaws, and while
we have other Bylaws issues pending to discuss, I would like to propose
this ballot to get the approval of the Forum to establish a
“Forum-approved” practice. When we update the Bylaws in the future, we
will add this practice as well.

There seems to be consensus by the Forum to allow the Chair or
Vice-Chair to update informative (non-normative) sections of produced
Guidelines.

This ballot also proposes removal of the first paragraph of the EV
Guidelines which contains the version number and is redundant because
the latest version and effective dates are already included in the cover
page and the versioning table.

*— MOTION BEGINS —*

The Chair or Vice-Chair of a CWG is allowed to perform changes to
informative (non-normative) parts of a Final Guideline or Final
Maintenance Guideline before it is published to the public web site and
without requiring a ballot procedure. The set of changes are limited to:

  *
    The cover page,
  *
    The Table of Contents,
  *
    Headers/Footers with version numbers and page numbers,
  *
    The table with document revisions or Document History,
  *
    The table with Relevant Dates,
  *
    The year in the “Copyright” information,

unless a ballot explicitly updates this information.

Remove the first paragraph of the EV Guidelines which reads:

  "This version 1.7.0 represents the Extended Validation Guidelines, as adopted by the CA/Browser Forum as of Ballot SC17, passed by the Forum on 21 May 2019 and effective as of 21 June 2019."

*— MOTION ENDS —*

The procedure for this ballot is as follows (exact start and end times
may be adjusted to comply with applicable Bylaws and IPR Agreement):

*Forum-XX - Allow Informative Changes to Guidelines* 	*Start time (22:00
UTC)* 	*End time (22:00 UTC)*
Discussion (7 days) 	XX September 2019 	XX September 2019
Expected Vote for approval (7 days) 	XX September 2019 	XX September 2019