[cabfpub] The purpose of the CA/B Forum

Robin Alden robin.alden at sectigo.com
Tue Oct 22 18:17:07 UTC 2019

Ryan,

Referring back to Dimitris’s reference [1], i.e. your response to Stephan Wolf, I think he (Stephan Wolf) probably overstated the forum’s purpose somewhat, but your response goes too far in the opposite direction to be considered accurate

Ryan Sleevi said:

> "The Forum provides a venue to ensure Browsers do not place conflicting requirements on CAs that voluntarily participate within the browsers root programs, by facilitating discussion and feedback.

> <snip>

> That is the sole and only purpose of the Forum. Any other suggestion is ahistorical and not reflected in the past or present activities."

I think Stephan’s statement could have said ‘developing’ instead of ‘adopting’, ‘better practices’ instead of ‘best practices’, and he would have been pretty close to the mark.

I had to look up ‘ahistoric’ in a dictionary, since it is not a word in my vocabulary, and one of the two definitions Merriam-Webster says it is “historically inaccurate or ignorant”.

I accept that it could be the view of a representative from a browser that the only point of the forum is as “a venue to ensure Browsers do not place conflicting requirements on CAs”.

However, if the other members of the forum are of the opinion that there is value in the activity of developing, not just receiving, even minimum requirements that may be used to raise the bar in the Web PKI, and especially if there are other parties within or without the forum that consider those minimum requirements as being worthy of adoption or formalization within their use of PKI, for the web or elsewhere, then that gives the forum purpose beyond the resolution of conflicting requirements and therefore your view of the forum is not accurate from the wider perspective.

Regards
Robin Alden

Sectigo Limited