[cabfpub] [EXTERNAL] The purpose of the CA/B Forum

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon Oct 21 17:26:10 UTC 2019

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 1:09 PM Kirk Hall via Public <public at cabforum.org>
wrote:

> +1 Dimitris.  As the immediate past Chair of the Forum and someone
> involved in creating the Forum in 2005, your analysis below is correct.

As I mentioned, this is somewhat ahistorical. For example, this viewpoint
you're sharing now does not seem consistent with your message in December
2005, proposing DigiCert (and all Sub-CAs) be excluded from participating
in the Forum, and a discussion about the purpose of the Forum being about
direct relationships with browsers.

You can see this at
https://cabforum.org/mailman/private/management/2005-December/000007.html ,
in the event you don't recall that discussion.

It sparked a lot of lively discussion, such as the antitrust implications
for the Forum (
https://cabforum.org/mailman/private/management/2006-March/000054.html )
and lengthy discussion about the membership criteria (
https://cabforum.org/mailman/private/management/2006-March/000040.html ).
The minutes for that London meeting (
https://cabforum.org/mailman/private/management/2006-March/000078.html )
have further discussion about the participation model, as captured in
https://cabforum.org/mailman/private/management/2006-April/000082.html