[cabfpub] Fwd: Re: [EXTERNAL] The purpose of the CA/B Forum

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Mon Oct 21 18:24:22 UTC 2019

Forwarding on behalf of Phil.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [cabfpub] [EXTERNAL] The purpose of the CA/B Forum
Date: 	Mon, 21 Oct 2019 14:21:43 -0400
From: 	Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill at hallambaker.com>
To: 	Kirk Hall via Public <public at cabforum.org>
CC: 	Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) <dzacharo at harica.gr>, Dimitris
Zacharopoulos <jimmy at it.auth.gr>

[I am not able to send to the list, this may be forwarded should you choose]

As one of the two people who called the meeting that led to the creation
of CABForum, I can confirm that Dimitris is correct.

There is however another much more important reason for representatives
whose companies operate root key programs to avoid making threats: The
operation of CABForum is subject to US and EU anti-trust law. This was
of course a major concern for Microsoft at the time CABForum was being
formed.

I recently had to point out to one root key program operator that they
should run a proposed internal ballot on through their internal lawyers
as they would face an obvious anti-Trust challenge if they allowed it to
go ahead.

It would probably be wise for all parties operating root programs to
note that there are storms brewing in Washington as well as Brussels.
And not just in one party.

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 1:09 PM Kirk Hall via Public