[cabfpub] Audits and RAs

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Tue Jun 18 19:28:17 UTC 2019

I believe we discussed this at the CA/B Forum meeting in Cupertino where
it was explained that an RA can be audited with the existing
ETSI/WebTrust criteria by only listing the necessary criteria relevant
to RA operations. So, for the ETSI example, an RA would be audited
against ETSI EN 319 411-1 by listing the most of the requirements of 319
401 and the relevant sections of 411-1 for RA operations. This scope
would be clearly indicated in the attestation letter, allowing the CA to
have an independent auditor's opinion of the RA operations of a
delegated third party.

I believe WebTrust for RAs has made a great job of defining the relevant
criteria and separating them in a different document. ETSI has done
something similar by identifying "service components" in EN 319 411-1
(OVR, REG, REV, DIS, and so on).

Dimitris.