[cabfpub] Final Minutes for CA/Browser Forum Teleconference - February 7, 2019

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Sun Feb 24 07:31:29 UTC 2019

These are the final Minutes of the Teleconference described in the
subject of this message.

    Attendees (in alphabetical order)

Arno Fiedler (D-TRUST), Bruce Morton (Entrust Datacard), Daymion
Reynolds (GoDaddy), Dean Coclin (Digicert), Dimitris Zacharopoulos
(HARICA), Doug Beattie (GlobalSign), Enrico Entschew (D-TRUST), Fotis
Loukos (SSL.com), Frank Corday (SecureTrust), Geoff Keating (Apple),
Gordon Bock (Microsoft), Inaba Atsushi (GlobalSign), Jeff Ward (CPA
Canada/WebTrust), Joanna Fox (GoDaddy), Jos Purvis (Cisco Systems),
Kenneth Myers (US Federal PKI Management Authority), Kirk Hall (Entrust
Datacard), Leo Grove (SSL.com), Li-Chun Chen (Chunghwa Telecom), Mads
Henriksveen (Buypass AS), Mahmud Khair (SecureTrust), Marcelo Silva
(Visa), Michelle Coon (OATI), Mike Reilly (Microsoft), Neil Dunbar
(TrustCor Systems), Peter Miskovic (Disig), Rich Smith (Sectigo), Robin
Alden (Sectigo), Ryan Sleevi (Google), Scott Rea (Dark Matter), Sissel
Hoel (Buypass AS), Tim Hollebeek (Digicert), Tim Shirley (SecureTrust),
Trevoli Ponds-White (Amazon), Wayne Thayer (Mozilla), Wendy Brown (US
Federal PKI Management Authority).

    Minutes

      1. Roll Call

The Chair took attendance

      2. Read Antitrust Statement

The Antitrust Statement was read

      3. Review Agenda

Today's Agenda was approved.

      4. Approval of Minutes of previous teleconference

The minutes of January 24, 2019 teleconference were approved and will be
posted to the Public list and the Public web site.

      5. Forum Infrastructure Working Group update

Jos reported that we now have a test wiki instance that can replace the
current wiki. It is being reviewed with positive feedback so far, and we
can import existing wiki code and pages fairly easily.

They had a good discussion about website management and how to migrate
the current public web site over to the "managed" wordpress
installation. They expect some small issues during the transition that
can be resolved by using redirects to keep the current wiki URL
operational until we move it to its new site.

They are still working on hosting the remaining services, namely the
mailers and the wiki.

Document management was also discussed. There are published instructions
on the wiki for how to prepare a red-lined draft maintenance guideline
to be used for ballots. Wayne is also working on a GitHub maintenance
documentation for people maintaining the CA/B Forum repositories.

      6. Follow-up on new WG Charters (Code Signing, S/MIME)

There is some discussion about the S/MIME WG Charter on the CA/B Forum
public list.

      7. Upcoming F2F 46 meeting March 12-14, 2019 (hosted by Apple)

Hotel information is on the wiki. Geoff mentioned that Apple received
some feedback that the suggested hotel was full, so it is possible that
people booking at that hotel might not get the discounted price for all
days. Any other hotel in that area would be convenient.

      8. Any Other Business

None.

      9. Bylaws and existing Charters update

Wayne lead the discussion and continued from where we left off during
the last call. He recalled having consensus on allowing the formation of
Subcommittees at the Forum level and we are close on fixing the language
to accomplish that.

Section 2.1 and membership criteria was also discussed on the public
list related to period-of-time and particular audit periods. There
didn't seem to be consensus for requiring an audit for membership
criteria and Wayne suggested we put this question on hold temporarily.

There was discussion about whether joining the Forum level would require
anything other than being a Member of a Chartered Working Group. That
would mean that a Working Group Member would automatically be considered
a Forum level Member. There was general agreement that nothing else
should be required, new Applicant's wouldn't need to have two
applications, one for a Chartered Working Group and one for the Forum,
submitting the same membership information requirements twice. So, the
proposal was to move Membership criteria out of the Bylaws and into the
Working Group Charters. If we move to this direction, the Bylaws changes
would have to be voted in the same ballot as a Server Certificate
Working Group charter update.

Ryan mentioned that there might be Working Groups potentially huge
because they have a broader topic and some Forum Members would like to
use the Membership criteria to restrict that, however there might be
alternatives to accomplish this goal if it becomes a problem.

Tim H. raised some concerns that membership criteria should be described
in the Bylaws and Wayne recommended that these membership criteria can
be included in the Bylaws in the template charter section as a guidance.
Tim and Ryan agreed with this recommendation.

Wayne noticed that by resolving this matter, we also resolve the issue
of section 2.1 because it makes this section much simpler. However, this
would then be a concern for the Server Certificate Working Group charter
to clarify.

Section 2.2 was discussed about ending membership and Wayne noticed that
this should also be simplified down to "not being a member of a Working
Group". Dimitris recommended we follow the same approach used for
Membership criteria, also for ending Membership which means that each
Working Group Charter (and Working Group Charter template) should
include language for Membership termination.

Wayne described the remaining changes as relatively straightforward and
uncontroversial, mostly being language cleanups and problems that were
previously discovered.

Section 2.3d clarifies where each voting takes place.

Sections 2.3 and 2.4 on ballot language were updated with no material
changes.

Section 5 is currently a source of confusion because it is titled "Forum
activities" but some of those activities are performed at the Working
Group level. So, sections 5.1 and 5.2 apply to the Forum.

Section 5.3.4 was about Legacy Working Groups during the transition
period and can safely be removed. Section 5.3 applies to Working Groups.

Section 5.3.1 now describes elections for Working Groups which is
missing from the current version.

Ryan asked about the percentage of completion for the preparation of
these changes because changes to Bylaws include reviews by legal
counsels. Wayne had a similar question about whether it would be
preferred if these changes were introduced in smaller ballots or one big
ballot and leans towards the latter because legal departments need to be
involved, so it's better if these are presented all at once. There was
general agreement on this issue, so we will attempt one large ballot to
include all Bylaws and Server Certificate Working Group Charter updates.

Wayne described a plan on how to move forward by members adding all the
proposed changes in the google document, including updates to the Server
Certificate Working Group. Once we have that ready, Wayne will send it
to the public list for another round of review. At that point, if we
don't have any more feedback, he thinks it would be reasonable to assume
that this is what the Forum wants to proceed with. We could have a
60-day pre-ballot period with these changes so Members can review with
their legal counsels before voting. No objections were raised by members.

Kirk asked if these amendments should be done before creating new
Working Groups and Wayne replied that the proposed changes are not
preventing new Working Groups to be created, as described under the
current Bylaws.

      10. Next call

February 21, 2019 at 11:00 am Eastern Time.

      Adjourned