[cabfpub] [EXTERNAL]Re: Draft SMIME Working Group Charter

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Tue Feb 5 14:01:44 MST 2019

While I've yet to see an SDO successfully manage that approach, as you
suggest, one of the benefits of dealing with it at the charter level is
that it helps make sure there is consensus that the core is done, and that
it's an appropriate time to move forward with identity. With an approach as
you've described, there's a risk - one which I've personally seen happen in
a number of WGs - that some members will feel it's time to start working on
the update, while others feel that there's still work to be done to get the
core out. The problem is that this debate - "is it time for Y" - ends up
taking energy and focus away. You often see this in specs that have heavy
involvement in the first 95%, but then drag on for the last 5% as everyone
starts working on the 'new thing'.

A ballot to update the charter addresses that, ensures that folks views are
heard and represented, and quantifiably measures consensus, versus "who's
loudest". It also helps discourage splinter-groups from forming that
decided they want to tackle topic Y, even though it's "not time yet",
because that's what they're interested in; if it's clear their work will
have no place to go, it's much easier to discourage that and focus on the
tough problems at hand with issuance.