[cabfpub] [EXTERNAL]Re: Ballot SC10 – Establishing the Network Security Subcommittee of the SCWG

Wayne Thayer wthayer at mozilla.com
Fri Sep 14 14:11:06 MST 2018

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 1:50 PM Tim Hollebeek <tim.hollebeek at digicert.com>
wrote:

> Wayne,
>

> My position is that LWGs are handled via the process in 5.3.4, and not
> 5.3.1(e), and as such, the Validation WG is somewhat special.

5.3.4 says "...converting to a Subcommittee under a CWG pursuant to Section
5.3.1(e).", so I don't understand how you can argue that 5.3.1(e) does not
apply to a 5.3.4 conversion.

This was actually the intent of the Governance Reform effort; it was
> intended that the Governance Reform effort would not be used to obstruct or
> impede the functioning of existing working groups (I’ll note that
> obstructing the work of the Forum is explicitly called out in the Code of
> Conduct as a Code of Conduct violation).  As I’ve stated repeatedly, I will
> probably support any and/or all attempts to improve clarity in this area,
> as long as it doesn’t impede the important work of the Validation WG.
> Though the suggestion that it is unclear whether Subcommittees have chairs
> is completely bizarre.  I’ve never been a member of a standards working
> group or committee that didn’t, and I’ve been on **WAY** too many of
> them.  Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

We are in peaceful agreement here. I suspect there are vast differences of
opinion on what a Subcommittee actually is, ranging from "that thing we
used to call a Working Group" to "some members who want to informally work
together on a project".

I will note that my recollection is that you were on both the VWG call
> before July 3rd when the proposal to exercise option (a) was discussed,
> and the VWG call immediately after July 3rd when the proposal to choose
> option (a) was discussed again, and didn’t object to that course of action
> at that time.  It’s not just a declaration of the Chair, it was the
> unanimous consensus of the WG, twice discussed.
>

> Correct, and I am not objecting to the VWG making the declaration. If I am
objecting to anything now, it's that the Bylaws say that the SCWG must
somehow "approve" the formation of a Subcommittee.

> I actually agree that the process for new Subcommittees (like the Network
> Security Subcommittee) leaves a lot to be desired, and should be improved
> by a ballot to improve the clarity of the Bylaws and/or SCWG charter with
> respect to creation of new Subcommittees.  However I agree with Virginia
> that the SCWG has the right to create subcommittees.  In the absence of
> explicit rules in the charter, the SCWG ballot rules seems to be the right
> way to create new SCWG Subcommittees.  Members are free to vote as they
> chose on such ballots.  But they are not free to obstruct the business of
> the Forum on procedural grounds that are unsupported by the Bylaws, and
> they are not free to deny members or working groups the rights and options
> they have that are clearly expressed in the Bylaws.

Sounds like we are in agreement that ballot SC9 should proceed.