[cabfpub] Ballot SC10 – Establishing the Network Security Subcommittee of the SCWG

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Thu Sep 13 17:43:20 MST 2018

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 8:39 PM Kirk Hall <Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the list, Wayne.  Responses inline.  Remember, a Subcommittee
> has no real power, it’s just a place where members interested in a subject
> who want to be involved in drafting proposals for the whole SCWG can work
> together – we have 10+ years of successful experience with this approach,
> and are just continuing it at the SCWG level.
>

> [Wayne] To respond to Kirk's question about subjects that need to be
> better defined, here is a start:
>

> * Do Subcommittees have Chairs and if so how are they appointed?  [KH]
> Yes, for the same reason we had Chairs for old-style Working Groups of the
> Forum.  There is no change here (BTW, our Bylaws didn’t include rules for
> old WG Chairs either – somehow it all worked out).  Dean has correctly
> listed what a Chair does.

This answer doesn't suffice, because our new Bylaws do change things
substantially, and the reasons for the old structure of WGs doesn't just
naturally change to SCWGs.

> * How are Subcommittees chartered? (are they chartered?)  [KH] Same as in
> the past when we created old-style WGs of the Forum – by ballots, in this
> case SCWG ballots.  No change here.

This is half correct, but misses the point of the question. The SCWG is
responsible for defining how Subcommittees are created, per our Bylaws -
and it has not. Yet.

> * What are the required contents of a Subcommittee charter?  [KH] Same as
> in the past when we created old-style WGs of the Forum – by ballot
> language.  We never had problems in drafting the ballots that created old
> WGs of the Forum – see Ballots 109, 128, 138, 143, 165, and 203.  No change
> here.  What problem do you see from following our past procedure?

Obviously, there's nothing you can point to support this interpretation,
and your interpretation itself isn't supported by the Bylaws, because the
SCWG does not define what you just stated.

> * How are Subcommittees operated?  [KH] In the same fashion as old WGs of
> the Forum were operated – teleconferences and informal procedures.  No
> change here.

Again, this is not consistent with the Bylaws. This is your proposed path,
but this is not the defined path.