[cabfpub] Proposed Bylaws Sec. 5.3.1(f) - Default procedures for new Chartered Working Groups

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon Oct 15 23:56:09 MST 2018

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 2:53 AM Geoff Keating <geoffk at apple.com> wrote:

> Although the details do need work, I support Kirk’s approach here, which
> is that the bylaws should contain a set of default rules which describe
> everything needed to operate a working group or a subcommittee, except for
> the name and scope.  It is much better if a motion to create a working
> group can be a few lines long, and focuses on the critical details of the
> working group, rather than having to be several pages of mostly boilerplate
> copied and pasted, perhaps incorrectly, from multiple sources.

Yes, as I mentioned, there was consensus that such an approach is good.
However, it was also pointed out that trying to do it piecemeal is going to
keep making mistakes - like this text does - and create more work for
everyone reviewing. It's more important to do a ballot well than to do it
first, and it's more beneficial to the Forum to take the time to do the
work.