[cabfpub] For review: Clarify CA Definition

Dimitris Zacharopoulos jimmy at it.auth.gr
Thu May 31 16:45:57 UTC 2018

Dear members,

The Policy Review Working Group has been working over the past months to
clarify the use of the term "CA" in the Baseline Requirements. The first
attempt of this task resulted in ballot 188
(https://cabforum.org/2017/03/02/ballot-188-clarify-use-term-ca-baseline-requirements/)
which failed. We analyzed the feedback and concerns from members and
tried to proceed with a minimal proposal to clarify the use of the term
CA in places where the CA is probably meant to be referred to as an
organization.

We communicated our plan to the public list on September 2017
(https://cabforum.org/pipermail/public/2017-September/012071.html) and
heard no objections or concerns so we continued that path which lead us
to the proposed changes.

You can find the github diff against the current Baseline Requirements
(1.5.7) at
https://github.com/cabforum/documents/pull/95/files#diff-7f6d14a20e7f3beb696b45e1bf8196f2.
Please disregard the leftover comments, we plan on having a discussion
at the F2F on Tuesday and remove them. And of course we welcome any
feedback, positive or negative, both on the list and at the F2F in order
to decide if we can proceed with a ballot that has better chances than
its predecessor :)

You will also find an attached red-lined PDF, comparing the two versions.

On behalf of the Policy Review WG,
Dimitris.