[cabfpub] [Ext] How do you handle mass revocation requests?

Phillip philliph at comodo.com
Fri Mar 2 15:46:08 UTC 2018

I have proposed this as an AOB topic for LAMPS.

On the wider problem, please remember I do not work for ComodoCA and have no more information on this than anyone else. I do find some aspects of the situation troubling though not necessarily the ones others are finding troubling.

That a reseller had access to so many private keys was a shock until I realized that this is probably a feature of someone's management package used by hosting companies, 'click here to export all private keys in a file'. One of the reasons security architects are not necessarily the best crackers is that we stay safe by not creating utterly terrible shoot-me-in-the-foot features.

There are measures that we could implement that would allow Web Site hosting companies the management features they need without leaving a loaded gun.

The other issue that concerns me is the naming of a third party in a security incident report. Was the counterparty notified? Was their permission to be named obtained? Was a responsible disclosure policy followed?

Now we have the press discussing the issue and not necessarily on the basis of the full facts.