[cabfpub] Formal discussion period - Ballot 206 and related documents

Virginia Fournier vfournier at apple.com
Tue Mar 20 21:38:15 UTC 2018

Hello again,

As a follow-up to our email last week, today is the first day of the 7-day formal discussion period for Ballot 206 and the related documents.  The 7-day formal discussion period will end on Tuesday, March 27, 2018, 8 pm PT.

During the informal discussion period, we received comments from Amazon, which resulted in the following changes to the IPR Policy.  These changes were made to help ensure that Associate Members and Interested Parties are required to license Essential Claims.

 3.2. Limitation on Licensing Requirements

OnlyThe affirmative act of joining a Working Group, or otherwise agreeing to the licensing terms described in this policy, will obligate a Member Participant to the CAB Forum RF Licensing obligations.

8.3. Other Key Definitions

“Participant” means a Member who is participating in one or more Working Groups of the CAB Forum, together with its Affiliates.  Interested Parties and Associate Members may be considered are “Participants” for purposes of any Working Group(s) in which they may be participating participation, but they do not gain any CAB Forum membership privileges (such as voting rights) thereby.

The updated IPR Policy and all the other documents are provided in the attached zip file.  You should have the following 6 documents:
Ballot 206 (CABF_Ballot206_27FEB18)
Clean copy of updated IPR Policy (CABF-IPR-Policy-v.1.3_20MAR18_clean)
Redlined copy of updated IPR Policy showing changes since version 1.2 (CABF-IPR-Policy_v.1.3_20MAR18_redline)
Clean copy of updated Bylaws (CABF-Bylaws-v.1.9_20FEB18)
Diff file showing changes to the Bylaws since version 1.8 (Bylaws_1.9_compare_20FEB18.webarchive)
Updated signature page for CAB Forum Agreement for IPR Policy - the only items added were a line for the date and a logo at the top so we can easily tell if we have the most recent version of the signature page (CAB Forum Agreement for IPR Policy_20FEB18)

I’m not including the FAQ or the F2F preso this time due to size constraints.  If anyone needs one of those documents, please refer to the prior email or contact me directly.

Please let us know if you have questions.

Best regards,

Governance Reform WG