[cabfpub] Ballot 219 v2: Clarify handling of CAA Record Sets with no "issue"/"issuewild" property tag

Corey Bonnell CBonnell at trustwave.com
Wed Mar 14 19:07:59 UTC 2018

Given that the consensus reached during last week's F2F is that we want to seek getting erratum 5244 approved during next week's IETF meeting (so we can directly embed the erratum in the BRs), we won't be bringing this ballot to a vote until after IETF meeting 101 transpires. Below is version 2 of this ballot, which updates the discussion period end “not before” date to match the end of IETF 101. This accomplishes three things:

1) Formalizes our intent to extend the discussion period to include the results of discussion at IETF 101
2) Moves back the "ballot expiration date" to April 4th
3) Fixes the grossly incorrect math in the original version's discussion end date. I blame that error on the fatigue caused by attending the all-day Validation WG summit and then driving back home for 4+ hours the day before sending out the ballot :)
I plan on attending the LAMPS WG meeting next Friday remotely to discuss this erratum as well as other things that should be fixed in RFC 6844-bis.

Thanks,
Corey

Ballot 219 v2: Clarify handling of CAA Record Sets with no "issue"/"issuewild" property tag

Purpose of this ballot:

RFC 6844 contains an ambiguity in regard to the correct processing of a non-empty CAA Resource Record Set that does not contain any issue property tag (and also does not contain any issuewild property tag in the case of a Wildcard Domain Name). It is ambiguous if a CA must not issue when such a CAA Resource Record Set is encountered, or if such a Resource Record Set is implicit permission to issue.

Given that the intent of the RFC is clear (such a CAA Resource Record Set is implicit permission to issue), we are proposing the following change to allow for CAA processing consistent with the intent of the RFC.

The following motion has been proposed by Corey Bonnell of Trustwave and endorsed by Tim Hollebeek of Digicert and Mads Egil Henriksveen of Buypass.

-- MOTION BEGINS --
This ballot modifies the “Baseline Requirements for the Issuance and Management of Publicly-Trusted Certificates” as follows, based upon Version 1.5.6:

In section 3.2.2.8, add this sentence:
CAs MAY treat a non-empty CAA Resource Record Set that does not contain any issue property tags (and also does not contain any issuewild property tags when performing CAA processing for a Wildcard Domain Name) as permission to issue, provided that no records in the CAA Resource Record Set otherwise prohibit issuance.

to the end of this paragraph:
When processing CAA records, CAs MUST process the issue, issuewild, and iodef property tags as specified in RFC 6844, although they are not required to act on the contents of the iodef property tag. Additional property tags MAY be supported, but MUST NOT conflict with or supersede the mandatory property tags set out in this document. CAs MUST respect the critical flag and not issue a certificate if they encounter an unrecognized property with this flag set.

-- MOTION ENDS –

The procedure for approval of this ballot is as follows:
Discussion (7+ days)
  Start Time: 2018-03-07 19:00:00 UTC
  End Time: Not Before 2018-03-23 19:00:00 UTC

Vote for approval (7 days)
  Start Time: TBD
  End Time: TBD

Corey Bonnell