[cabfpub] BR Authorized Ports, add 8443

Fotis Loukos fotisl at ssl.com
Fri Mar 2 00:00:06 MST 2018

Hello,
per RFC1700:

WELL KNOWN PORT NUMBERS

The Well Known Ports are controlled and assigned by the IANA and on
most systems can only be used by system (or root) processes or by
programs executed by privileged users.
The assigned ports use a small portion of the possible port numbers.
For many years the assigned ports were in the range 0-255.  Recently,
the range for assigned ports managed by the IANA has been expanded to
the range 0-1023.

The first paragraph is still true on most operating systems, such as
*nix, Windows and MacOSX. On most of these systems, any user can bind to
a port >= 1024. I am using the word 'most' because I don't know the
networking subsystem of all operating systems, but every single one I've
used works like this. Adding port 8443 to the authorized ports would
mean that giving shell access to someone would give them access to issue
a certificate for that server. I don't think that shell access as an
ordinary user qualifies as having ownership or control of a domain.

Regards,
Fotis