[cabfpub] Membership Application of Sony

Kirk Hall Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com
Wed Jun 27 12:35:38 MST 2018

Adam – I just realized that there is a double test for anyone new applying to be a Forum member – one requirement to be a Forum Member, and a second requirement to be a member of a CWG.

In the browser (Certificate Consumer) category, the Forum membership requirement is as follows:

(a) All Forum members must *** meet at least one of the following criteria: ***

(3) Certificate Consumer: The member organization produces a software product, such as a browser, intended for use by the general public for relying upon certificates and is a member of a CWG [Chartered Working Group, such as the new Server Certificate Working Group].

Today we only have one Chartered Working Group (CWG).  Its charter has the following additional requirement for participation as a browser (Certificate Consumer):

(3) A Certificate Consumer can participate in this Working Group if it produces a software product intended for use by the general public for browsing the Web securely.

So to participate in this CWG (the only one we have), Sony must “produce[] a software product intended for use by the general public for browsing the Web securely”.  Can you tell us if Sony meets that requirement?

Sorry for any confusion – we are just rolling out this new governance structure now.

Kirk