[cabfpub] On the use of misuse - and the necessity to remove it

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Fri Jun 8 06:30:27 MST 2018

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 9:16 AM, philliph--- via Public <public at cabforum.org>
wrote:

> What counts as ‘misuse’ in the WebPKI is going to depend on what use
> applications make of that data and that is something that is outside the
> control of the CABForum.

I think we're in rather surprisingly strong agreement here. Considering
that the BRs are currently attempting to control it, it sounds like
removing it (as was proposed), or, using the most excellent feedback from
Moudrick and Adriano, stating that 'misuse' is defined individually by the
CA, who places their definition for their constituencies in Section 1.4
(consistent with RFC 3467), seems like it achieves the desired result.
Would you disagree?