[cabfpub] LEI information in web certificates

Moudrick M. Dadashov md at ssc.lt
Sun Jul 8 13:18:22 UTC 2018

IMHO ETSI case needs some clarification - in fact we have two different
issues here:

 1. qualified and non-qualified certificate profiles (use of
    "qcStatement-2" identified by the OID id-qcspkixQCSyntax-v2 with the
    SemanticsInformation syntax, see
    http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_en/319400_319499/31941201/01.01.01_60/en_31941201v010101p.pdf).
 2. ETSI proposal related to certificates issued to payment service
    operators (see
    https://cabforum.org/pipermail/validation/2018-June/000948.html)

In short, the first one says: if combined with the OID
id-qcspkixQCSyntax-v2 the syntax of serial-number is:

TTTCC-identifier

where TTT is a type of  registry (from the list below);
CC - an ISO 3166 country code;
identifier means whatever we use today as a serial-number.

The predefined types of registries (TTT) are:

VAT - national VAT registry;
NTR - national trade registry;
PAS - national passport registry;
IDC - national ID card registry;
PNO - national civic registry;
TIN - Tax Identification registry
(https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/tin/tinByCountry.html).

but we can add more TTTs e.g. SSN, IRS etc., so the composite
serial-number in a certificate would look like this: IRSUS-123456789
Also, TTT allows you to identify the subjects from country specific
registries (explicitly identified in certificate, see details in RFC 3739).

As for the second ETSI proposal, I suspect a little misunderstanding -
in the scenario where third party payment (TPP) service providers play
their role (see attached) they need *client* authentication certificates.

Thanks,
M.D.