[cabfpub] BR: brainpoolp256r1 curve

Stephen Davidson S.Davidson at quovadisglobal.com
Tue Jul 3 17:52:28 UTC 2018

Hello:

I am posting the following on behalf of Rufus Buschart of Siemens, for discussion.

Kind regards, Stephen

QuoVadis

-

The "Bundesamt für Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik" (German Federal Office for Information Security) published a technical guidance TR-03116-3 which defines fundamental cryptographic requirements for governmental projects. In chapter 2.1.3 it defines three elliptic curves that have to be supported as a minimum for SSL/TLS. One of the three curves is the brainpoolp256r1 curve. This curve is not currently allowed according to the BRGs chapter 6.1.5.

I would like to propose, that this curve becomes allowed by the BRGs as well.

TR-03116-3:  https://www.bsi.bund.de/SharedDocs/Downloads/DE/BSI/Publikationen/TechnischeRichtlinien/TR03116/BSI-TR-03116-4.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=4