[cabfpub] Draft Ballot to establish new SCWG Network Security Subcommittee

Kirk Hall Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com
Sun Jul 22 01:47:43 UTC 2018

No matter what procedure we choose for establishing new SCWG Subcommittees, we will need a formal scope for each Subcommittee.  This is a first draft of such a scope for the Network Security Subcommittee.

The existing Network Security WG was created by Ballot 203.     https://cabforum.org/2017/06/19/ballot-203-formation-network-security-working-group   I have slightly modified the language of that ballot to create a SCWG Subcommittee - this would be the language of a Ballot.  Please offer edits - simpler is better.  We can try to finalize on our SCWG teleconference on July 26.

Because the previous Working Group had a sunset date, I added a sunset of Sept. 1, 2020 (two years).

The Server Certificate Working Group formally establishes the Network Security Subcommittee as an official Subcommittee of the SCWG.

Scope: Consider options for revising, replacing or scrapping the Network Security Guidelines.

Out of Scope: No provision.

Deliverables: Deliverables:

1. Reports with one or more proposals for the future of the Network Security Guidelines.

2. For proposals involving replacement, details of the availability and applicability of the proposed alternative, and what modifications if any would be needed to it in order to make it suitable for use.

3. For proposals involving revision, details of the revisions that are deemed necessary and how the document will be kept current in the future.

4. For proposals involving scrapping, an explanation of why this is preferable to either of the other two options.

5. If there are multiple proposals, optionally a recommendation as to which one to pursue and an associated timeline.

6. A form of ballot or ballots to implement any recommendations.

Within the scope of the SCWG Charter: Yes

End Date: September 1, 2020