[cabfpub] Is DigiCert a member of the Server Certificate Working Group?

Tim Hollebeek tim.hollebeek at digicert.com
Tue Jul 3 14:04:31 MST 2018

I agree to your proposal.

-Tim

From: Kirk Hall [mailto:Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 3, 2018 4:33 PM
To: Tim Hollebeek <tim.hollebeek at digicert.com>; CA/Browser Forum Public
Discussion List <public at cabforum.org>
Subject: RE: [cabfpub] Is DigiCert a member of the Server Certificate
Working Group?

Tim, if I recall correctly, you were the one a few days ago that suggested
we give CAs and browsers who have signed the IPRA v1.3 but have not
indicated an intent to participate in the SCWG an additional 60 days to
declare their intent to participate, right?  And I agreed with your
suggestion.  So I don't think anyone who has signed the IPRA loses their
current membership status for the next 60 days, thanks to your suggestion.

Man, who knew this could be so complicated?  If I understand your position
correctly, a CA or browser can immediately claim SCWG membership simply by
submitting the IPRA, saying it meets the WG membership requirements,
declaring interest in participating in the WG, and saying "therefore I'm a
WG member", correct?  All self-assertion.  But what if Freedonia CA (or
Freedonia Browser), whom we've never hear of, does that?  Is Freedonia CA
automatically a member of the WG as of today?  (I don't think so.)

To finish this up, let's just both be right - you can assert your
interpretation of what it takes to be a WG member (basically returning the
IPRA, showing interest in participation, and automatically becoming a WG
member with no review from other Forum members) - that's fine, and it will
do no harm so long as no difficult questions arise before July 12 like who
can vote, etc.  I will then proceed on the July 12 initial teleconference
meeting of the SCWG as I have indicated, listing who has effectively applied
for membership of the SCWG, indicating they appear to qualify, and ask if
anyone has an objection.  That way we have it covered.

I'm taking some time off for the holiday, so may not be able to respond to
further discussion on this topic.