[cabfpub] Pre-Ballot 206 - Amendment to IPR Policy & Bylaws re Working Group Formation

Virginia Fournier vfournier at apple.com
Fri Jan 19 01:32:30 UTC 2018

Just to clarify, there has not been any discussion in the Governance WG about having “subcommittees” under working groups.  The way the documents are structured now (and have been for several months) is that:
The Server Certificate WG is created as a new WG under the Forum.  Much of the existing Forum work is swept into this WG.
Once Ballot 206 is passed, the currently existing (“legacy”) working groups have a choice.  They can terminate (if no one wants to continue that work) or they can continue to operate without a charter for 6 months.  If they want to continue beyond that 6 months, they will need to submit a ballot with a charter and get approval at the Forum level.  These legacy WGs would be their own individual WGs, and would not be “subcommittees” under any other WG.
Also,  once Ballot 206 is passed, brand-spanking new WGs can be created.  To do this, those interested in the WG would submit a ballot and charter to the Forum for approval.  These would also be WGs in their own right - they would not be connected to any other WG, or be “subcommittees” of another WG.

So, 8 months after Ballot 206 passes, we could hypothetically have:
Server Certificate WG (1st WG, approved with Ballot 206/charter, captures much of the Forum’s existing work)
Certificate Policy WG (Legacy group, would need to submit a charter (no ballot) and get approved to continue)
Validation WG (Another Legacy group, would also need to submit a charter (no ballot) and get approved to continue)
Code Signing WG (Brand-new working group, would need to submit a ballot and charter to get approved)
Metaphysical Telepathic Authentication WG (Brand-new working group, would also need to submit a ballot and charter to get approved)

All of the above 5 WGs would be individual, independent, separate groups and would not be subcommittees, subgroups, ancillaries, or subordinates of any other group.

Does that help?

We think the “Participant” definition issue has already been addressed in the proposed amendment to the IPR policy.

Best regards,

Virginia Fournier
Senior Standards Counsel
 Apple Inc.