[cabfpub] Verification of Domain Contact and Domain Authorization Document

Geoff Keating geoffk at apple.com
Wed Jan 3 21:53:40 UTC 2018

It looks like we’re going to be removing 3.2.2.4.1, so this will be moot, but just to explain the interpretation, 3.2.2.4.1 says that what you are doing (this sentence is the entire description of the method, the rest of the section just limits its application) is "Confirming the Applicant's control over the FQDN by validating the Applicant is the Domain Contact directly with the Domain Name Registrar.”

This is not a name match.  If the BRs wanted to say “by validating the Applicant has the same name as the Domain Contact”, they would say so.  This is a one-and-the-same match, it uses the word “is”.  In the example below, the CA must ensure that “Google Inc., the Utah corporation” is the same one as shown in the WHOIS information, and all the WHOIS information is relevant in confirming this.

Another important clarification is that if you use 3.2.2.1, it doesn’t just verify “the name of the applicant”; it says that "the CA SHALL verify the identity and address of the organization”, not just the name.  (Um… actually, if you read it closely, you might not verify the name at all, if you identify the organization in another way, maybe with some kind of ID number.  That’s probably a bug.)