[cabfpub] Ballot 218 version 2: Remove validation methods #1 and #5

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon Jan 29 11:18:02 MST 2018

I don't think it's misleading - both GlobalSign and Let's Encrypt took
steps to disable issuance to avoid introducing further risk. Both
GlobalSign and Let's Encrypt than proposed future steps to ensure that the
risks were mitigated, to various degrees of comprehensiveness. These steps
were taken within hours and days, respectively, of becoming aware of
issues, and it's a credit to both GlobalSign and Let's Encrypt the degree
of responsiveness that was undertaken.

I think that both CAs took proactive steps to cease issuance, and engage in
the community, is reflective of both what is reasonable and what is
exemplary, particularly given the challenges in disabling automated forms
of issuance (compared to, say, manual forms, in which it is already
routinely expected to engage with the customer-applicant)

Compare and contrast that with Bruce's proposal, which provides for no
mitigations for the many issues already discovered in the level of
assurance provided by Entrust's use of 3.2.2.4.1, which presently allows
for up to 3 year certificates to be issued (to be reduced to 825-days in
March), and further proposes to allow the reuse of that validation
information. To really emphasize this point, as it may be missed, the
maximum 'damage' an improperly validated certificate validated under
3.2.2.4.10 by Let's Encrypt can do is measured by 90 days from its
issuance, or, if we were to look at today, 2018-04-29. The maximum 'damage'
an improperly validated certificate validated under 3.2.2.4.1 by Entrust,
as proposed by Bruce, is measured as 2021-04-29 (if DV/OV), or 2020-04-29
(if EV) - if the move was made today, or 2021-05-28 (DV/OV) and 2020-11-03
(EV) if adopted by August.

I don't think it's misleading to suggest that the responses to 3.2.2.4.9
and 3.2.2.4.10, by GlobalSign and Let's Encrypt, respectively, are
reflective of positive committments to ensuring that users and site
operators are secure and protected from improper validation - even when the
risk is mitigatable - and the reactions to 3.2.2.4.5 and 3.2.2.4.1, for
which both no mitigations exist, nor have the inherent security issues been
acknowledged or responded to, are of a different kind and calibre.