[cabfpub] Pre-Ballot 206 - Amendment to IPR Policy & Bylaws re Working Group Formation

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Tue Jan 23 05:48:53 MST 2018

On 22/01/18 19:37, Virginia Fournier wrote:
> How do you want to be able to introduce one WGs work product to another
> WG?  One of the principle goals of this new model was to keep IPR
> commitments within the WG that a member is participating in.  Are you
> now saying that you want IPR commitments to apply across all WGs so you
> can share all work across all WGs?

No, he's not saying that. :-)

However, let's say we want to work on some really basic requirements
that apply to all certificates, whether they are Server certificates
(one WG) or Code Signing certificates (another WG). How would you see
that being done in the new model?

Would one of the WGs work on them and the other(s) adopt their work? Or
would there be a "General Requirements WG" that the others took work
from? Either way, some IPR is passing between WGs to an extent. How
would you see us handling this sort of situation?