[cabfpub] Ballot 218: Remove validation methods #1 and #5

Dimitris Zacharopoulos jimmy at it.auth.gr
Mon Jan 8 02:11:01 MST 2018

On 8/1/2018 10:15 πμ, Ryan Sleevi wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 2:45 AM, Dimitris Zacharopoulos via Public
> <public at cabforum.org <mailto:public at cabforum.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 5/1/2018 6:31 μμ, Rich Smith wrote:

Thanks Ryan, this is the distinction I had in mind. My understanding is
that using the publicly available WHOIS is not "contacting" the
Registrar. I believed that "contacting" is an out-of-band way.

>     Here is the Domain Contact definition in 1.6.1:
>     "*Domain Contact*: The Domain Name Registrant, technical contact,
>     or administrative contract (or the equivalent under a ccTLD) as
>     listed in the WHOIS record of the Base Domain Name or in a DNS SOA
>     record"
>
>     The only method that currently mentions that the CA may contact
>     the Domain Name Registrar *directly*, is 3.2.2.4.1. I don't think
>     getting publicly available WHOIS information means "contacting"
>     the Domain Registrar. This is necessary for registries that don't
>     provide public WHOIS information about Domain Registrants.
>

> So to make sure I understand your view: For situations such as ccTLDs
> (which are not bound by ICANN's registry agreements as they predate
> ICANN and are separately managed from ICANN), where WHOIS is not
> available, your view is 3.2.2.4.1 is the only method that allows for
> out-of-band contact with the registrar (which is contracted with the
> registry) in order to determine the Registrant/technical
> contact/administrative contact/equivalent.

Correct.

> An example of pre-existing TLD adhering to this is .gov (in the US) -
> and I'm guessing you know of one or more ccTLDs that also fit into
> this category?
>
> The advantage being is that this permits non-gTLDs (i.e. those within
> the ICANN sphere of oversight) to use methods 'equivalent' to WHOIS.
> The disadvantage is that, in the absence of the registry agreements,
> the level of assurance or equivalence of those respective methods is
> at the determination of the ccTLD/TLD operator and the CA, and not
> uniform in assurance or reliability.

The level of assurance for Domain Contact phone numbers and e-mail
addresses is pretty much the same in most gTLD, ccTLD cases, that's why
I proposed that they are combined with methods 3.2.2.4.2 or 3.2.2.4.3. I
am hoping to have the WHOIS "equivalent" methods for all Domains. We are
talking about Domain Validation methods so I don't think we should use
"Organization Information" of WHOIS or Domain Registrar records to
validate Domain ownership.

Dimitris.