[cabfpub] Recruiting experts for the Validation Summit

Tim Hollebeek tim.hollebeek at digicert.com
Mon Feb 5 20:37:16 UTC 2018

CA/Browser Forum Members,

I would like to invite you to consider who you may know who would be a
valuable addition to the domain validation security analysis.  It would be
great if we could get participation from a wide variety of people who don't
normally participate in CA/Browser discussions.

As a reminder, we are going to be discussing topics like the following:

1.	What is domain control/domain ownership/IP validation/validation of
authorization intended to validate?
2.	How is validation typically done, for each method?  Are there any
vulnerabilities?  Can they be fixed?

This is already an ambitious agenda, so we are looking for participants who
can participate in an intelligent, constructive conversation without going
off on too many tangents or descending into too many ratholes.  I'll be
doing my best to keep us on topic and moving forward.

It would be particularly helpful to have participants who have experience in
the following areas:

1.	Real-world experience with the validation procedures as they are
currently practiced by public certificate authorities
2.	Experience with threat modeling, analyzing a variety of protocols,
or other methods for rigorously analyzing processes and procedures for
potential vulnerabilities
3.	Deep technical expertise related to how validation-related
technologies perform and/or fail in the real world (DNS, WHOIS, Domain
Registrars, Reverse IP lookup, and so on)
4.	Technical challenges that prevent various validation methods from
being usable by a significant fraction of certificate applicants, and thus
drive users towards less desirable methods
5.	Automation of validation protocols (i.e. ACME)

We will be collecting lists of participants and doing what we can to allow
them to participate.  In preparation for the March 6th meeting, we would ask
that prospective participants be willing to participate in a special meeting
of the Validation Working Group on Thursday, March 1st, 11 am Eastern Time.

-Tim