[cabfpub] [Servercert-wg] [EXTERNAL] Ballot SC6 v2 - Revocation Timeline Extension

Wayne Thayer wthayer at mozilla.com
Thu Aug 30 22:40:57 UTC 2018

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 10:42 AM Ryan Sleevi <sleevi at google.com> wrote:

> Thanks Wayne.
>
> I know you're intentionally avoiding the controversial cleanups with this
> specific Ballot, so it will be good to have a follow-on discussion for
> those matters, as CAs will no doubt having to make only one update to their
> CP/CPS versus two. Or, differently stated, I'd hope that the argument for
> making two updates doesn't preclude discussion of those additional cleanups
> and ambiguities.
>
> In reviewing this language in full, a much needed cleanup, one area that
> stuck out to me, and which may not need to be resolved, but worth
> considering, are the requirements for revocation if the CA is "made aware
> of a material change in the information contained in the certificate" (#6
> in the 5 day range) and if the CA "determines that any of the information
> appearing in the Certificate is inaccurate"
>
> One thing that stuck out was "made aware" versus "determines" - and
> whether that distinction is significant (all of the other relevant language
> in this section uses "made aware"). This is, admittedly, a carry over, but
> I'm curious if there is any significance/impact to changing this to "made
> aware"
>
> The next thing that stuck out is determining whether "material change in
> the information" and "is inaccurate" are, in fact, different. Are there
> cases where the information is inaccurate due to an (immaterial) change?
> Are there material changes that don't result in inaccuracy? This couples
> with the above to leave it a bit messy and gray as to how the CA may
> classify things.
>
> In looking at Section 9.6.1, regarding the CA's warranties, it seems our
> goal is to provide relying parties both assertions on the correctness of
> the information at the time it was issued, as well as that the information
> is correct on an ongoing basis (c.f. 9.6.1 (8)). In terms of predictability
> and clear expectations for CAs, the determination of material/immaterial,
> and the flexibility for determination in general, seems to set up potential
> conflict with the needs of Relying Parties and Subscribers, and leave CAs
> in a bit of the messy place that some of this ballot tries to get them
> sorted out from.
>

> I hope this will prove to be uncontroversial, but the concrete suggestions
> I would have are:
> 1) Strike "material" from 4.9.1.1, p2, Item 6, to read "The CA is made
> aware of a change in the information contained in the certificate"

I suspect that this is controversial and am not sure that I agree with the
proposed change. For example, when GoDaddy removed the space from their
former name "Go Daddy", that would, in my opinion, have been an immaterial
change to the content of any certificate containing "Go Daddy" in the O
field. Other examples might include capitalization and punctuation. While I
dislike ambiguities and the abuse they invite, this is a case where I think
it is acceptable, if not necessary.

> 2) Change "determines" to "is made aware" in 4.9.1.1, p2, Item 8, to read
> "The CA is made aware that any of the information appearing in the
> Certificate is inaccurate."

I don't have strong feelings about this, but I do make some distinction
between "determining" (on its own) and "being made aware of" (by someone
else). I prefer the current language because it makes some admittedly minor
distinction between these two reasons.