[cabfpub] Issuance of certificates for keys reported as compromised

Tim Hollebeek tim.hollebeek at digicert.com
Tue Aug 21 12:51:12 MST 2018

We’re far less pessimistic about whether these problems can be solved.  There are clearly some key pairs where is private key is either widely known, or someone other than the original owner has conclusively demonstrated possession of it.  You shouldn’t be able to get a certificate for those, but currently it’s very easy to do so.

If other people want to work together with us on a concrete proposal for making sure previously compromised keys don’t get put in brand new Web PKI certificates, we’re willing to work with them on a proposal.

-Tim