[cabfpub] Membership Application of Sony
Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com
Fri Aug 17 14:19:15 MST 2018
Sony has submitted its application to become a Certificate Consumer member of the Forum and SCWG. See information below, and also Bylaw 2.1 listing membership requirements. Sony will be submitting the signed IPR Agreement next week.
Sony's application appears to be in order and Sony appears to qualify for membership. We will act on the application during our next teleconference on Thursday, Aug. 23.
If you have any questions for Sony, please convey them to me and to Adam before our call.
From: Adam.Goldberg at sony.com [mailto:Adam.Goldberg at sony.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2018 6:13 PM
To: Kirk Hall <Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com>
Subject: Membership Application of Sony
(1) I confirm that Sony satisfies at least one of the membership criteria - namely, as a Certificate Consumer.
We have many products which are "certificate consumers", of course, but perhaps most relevant in terms of the CA/B Forum membership qualifications (at this moment) are the Playstation products.
In particular, both the PS3 and PS4 ship with browsers which are capable of browsing web pages on the internet, and both get periodic security (and other) updates. The PS4 is updated ~10 times/year (counting major and minor releases). Legacy products, like the PS3, are less frequent, but may be updated (e.g., for security issues).
For the PS4, the root store may be updated during any update (either major or minor), and this is the mechanism used to, e.g., add certs. Additionally, security updates to the internet/browser functionality are applied during software updates.
In the not-too-distant future, Sony televisions with "ATSC 3.0" functionality will include a specialized browser as part of the ATSC 3.0 receiver system, and those devices will receive frequent updates, including security updates, and will have an updatable root store.
Sony also manufactures Android-based non-ATSC3.0 televisions and cell phones, both of which have browsers, but these browsers are less under our control.
(2) Please refer to my employer as "Sony Electronics Inc."
(3) Sony's web site is www.sony.com<http://www.sony.com>
(4) For now, participants will be just me: Adam Goldberg <adam.goldberg at sony.com<mailto:adam.goldberg at sony.com>>
(5) The Emergency Contact will also be me: Adam Goldberg, cell # +1-571-363-9778, office # +1-202-601-4130 (UTC-5)
Director, Technical Standards
Technology Standards Office
Sony Electronics, Inc.
2. FORUM MEMBERSHIP AND VOTING
2.1 Qualifying for Forum Membership
(a) All Forum members must participate in at least one CWG (as defined in Section 5.3.1 below),
and meet at least one of the following criteria:
(1) Certificate Issuer: The member organization operates a certification authority that has a
current and successful WebTrust for CAs audit or ETSI EN 319 411-1 or ETSI TS 102 042
or ETSI TS 101 456 audit report prepared by a properly-qualified auditor, is a member of a
CWG, and that actively issues certificates to end entities, such certificates being treated as
valid by a Certificate Consumer Member. Applicants that are not actively issuing certificates
but otherwise meet membership criteria may be granted Associate Member status under
Bylaw Sec. 3.1 for a period of time to be designated by the Forum.
(2) Root Certificate Issuer: The member organization operates a certification authority that has
a current and successful WebTrust for CAs, or ETSI EN 319 411-1102042 or ETSI TS 102
042 or ETSI TS 101 456 audit report prepared by a properly-qualified auditor, is a member
of a CWG, and that issues certificates to subordinate CAs that, in turn, actively issue
certificates to end entities such certificates being treated as valid by a Certificate Consumer
Member. Applicants that are not actively issuing certificates but otherwise meet
membership criteria may be granted Associate Member status under Bylaw Section 3.1 for a
period of time to be designated by the Forum.
(3) Certificate Consumer: The member organization produces a software product, such as a
browser, intended for use by the general public for relying upon certificates and is a member
of a CWG.
(b) Applicants should supply the following information:
(1) Confirmation that the applicant satisfies at least one of the membership criteria (and if it
satisfies more than one, indication of the single category under which the applicant wishes to
(2) The organization name, as you wish it to appear on the Forum Web site and in official Forum documents.
(3) URL of the applicant's main Web site.
(4) Names and email addresses of employees who will participate in the Forum mail list.
(5) Emergency contact information for security issues related to certificate trust.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Public