[cabfpub] Applicability of BRs to Client Authentication certificates

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Thu Apr 12 17:19:47 UTC 2018

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 1:11 PM, Jeff Ward via Public <public at cabforum.org>
wrote:

> I am submitting this request on behalf of the WebTrust Task Force.  We
> would like to seek clarification from the CA/B Forum on the applicability
> of the Baseline Requirements for certificates that chain to a Root in a
> browser root store, which are only used for TLS Web Client Authentication
> (i.e. the EKU includes 1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.2 and does not include
> 1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.1).
>

> Section 1.1 Overview states, in part, “These Requirements only address
> Certificates intended to be used for *authenticating servers* accessible
> through the Internet”.
>

> This suggests that the BRs only apply to TLS Web Server Authentication.
>

> However, Section 7.1.2.3.f, Subscriber Certificate (extKeyUsage) states,
> in part, “Either the value id-kp-serverAuth [RFC5280] or id-kp-clientAuth
> [RFC5280] or both values MUST be present.
>

> This is quite clear that they do apply to certificates that are only for
> TLS Web Client Authentication, but this contradicts the Overview section.
>

> Additionally, the word ‘server’ is used throughout the BRs without an
> actual definition, and it is therefore unclear of the applicability of
> these sectiosn to certificates that are only for TLS Web Client
> Authentication.
>

> For example, Section 7.1.4.2.1 Subject Alternative Name Extension:
>

> “Certificate Field: extensions:subjectAltName
>
> Required/Optional: Required
>
> Contents: This extension MUST contain at least one entry. Each entry MUST
> be either a dNSName containing the Fully-Qualified Domain Name or an
> iPAddress containing the IP address of *a server*. The CA MUST confirm
> that the Applicant controls the Fully-Qualified Domain Name or IP address
> or has been granted the right to use it by the Domain Name Registrant or IP
> address assignee, as appropriate. Wildcard FQDNs are permitted.”
>

> It is ambiguous as to whether this apples to a Client Authentication-only
> certificate. Additionally, there are questions on whether additional entry
> types (for example, DirName) may be acceptable in a Client
> Authentication-only certificate.
>

> Our ask of the CA/B Forum would be to:
>

> 1.    Clarify whether or not the BRs apply to Client Authentication-only
> certificates, and update the BRs to explicitly state whether they apply or
> don’t.
>
> 2.    If they do apply, then to update the BRs to ensure there is no
> ambiguity between a ‘server’ and a ‘client’, and if any updates need to be
> made to address different requirements for Client Authentication-only
> certificates.
>

> Thank you for your assistance.
>

> Jeff

Hi Jeff,

To make sure I understand this feedback - do you believe this same
confusion exists if we ignore 7.1.2.3.f? That is, I'm trying to understand
if that is the *source* of the confusion, or merely contributing to it. If
there are other contributing factors that suggest client scope, could you
clarify?