[cabfpub] Fixing our voting process, again

Virginia Fournier vfournier at apple.com
Wed Sep 27 18:50:27 UTC 2017

Hi Kirk, Gerv and others,

We agree with Gerv.  We would not support the “emergency clause” Kirk has described.

Best regards,

Virginia Fournier
Senior Standards Counsel
 Apple Inc.
☏ 669-227-9595
✉︎ vmf at apple.com

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 14:57:27 +0100
From: Gervase Markham <gerv at mozilla.org>
To: Kirk Hall <Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com>, Jacob Hoffman-Andrews
	<jsha at letsencrypt.org>, CA/Browser Forum Public Discussion List
	<public at cabforum.org>
Subject: Re: [cabfpub] [EXTERNAL]Re:  Fixing our voting process, again

On 25/09/17 21:42, Kirk Hall wrote:
> Given the other issues we are encountering, perhaps we should consider a
> separate provision with an ?emergency clause? where a ballot goes into
> effect on the final date of voting (before the Review Period) ? but this
> would need a higher yes vote, like 80% of voting CAs and 2/3 of voting
> browsers.? There would be an IP danger during the subsequent Review
> Period (each CA proceeds at its own risk), but at least we wouldn?t have
> to wait 30 days from a successful vote for a change to the BRs to become
> effective.
>
> Gerv ? would you support that concept?? Most legislatures have similar
> provisions when they need a new law to take effect immediately.

We cannot force CAs to take on IP risk.

So there's a difference between a CA MAY do something during the IP
period, and a CA MUST do something during the IP period. The latter, I
don't think we can do. The former is more plausible. It would not need a
different threshold, because it would just be permitting another option.
But I still think it's problematic because, as Ryan says, things only go
into effect when they are in a published version of the BRs, and that
happens at the end of IP review. If we allowed this, we could have
version 1.6.4 coming into effect before 1.6.3 - except that 1.6.4 would
contain the changes from 1.6.3, so ????.