[cabfpub] [EXTERNAL]Re: Fixing our voting process, again

Kirk Hall Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com
Wed Sep 27 08:57:51 MST 2017

Agreed on your first point - CAs "MAY" use a change during the 30 day IP Review period, not "MUST".

I don't think I agree that a Ballot does not become effective until it is published in a new version of the BRs.  Bylaw 2.3(h) says " If no Exclusion Notices are filed during the Review Period with respect to a Draft Guideline Ballot, then the results of the Initial Vote are automatically deemed to be final and approved, and Draft Guidelines then become either Final Guidelines or Final Maintenance Guidelines, as
designated in the Draft Guidelines Ballot."  Subsection (h) then goes on to direct the Chair to update the Website of the Final Guidelines / Maintenance Guidelines within 10 days thereafter, but that is not a condition of the ballot being "final and approved".  Subsection (h) does not even specify how the Chair is to "update the Website of Final Guidelines and Final Maintenance Guidelines" - it could be simply by posting the ballot and saying it was approved - but clearly posting an updated version of the BRs is more efficient and preferable.

(h) If no Exclusion Notices are filed during the Review Period with respect to a Draft Guideline
Ballot, then the results of the Initial Vote are automatically deemed to be final and approved,
and Draft Guidelines then become either Final Guidelines or Final Maintenance Guidelines, as
designated in the Draft Guidelines Ballot. The Chair will notify both the Member Mail List and
the Public Mail List of the final approval within 3 business days, as well as update the Public
Website of Final Guidelines and Final Maintenance Guidelines within 10 business days of the
close of the Review Period.