[cabfpub] Ballot 213 - Revocation Timeline Extension

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Thu Sep 21 10:38:49 MST 2017

On 20/09/17 01:26, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> I appreciate your suggestion of a solution, but I'm not quite sure I
> understand your concerns. Apologies for that, but it would be great if
> you could elaborate why you feel it may be "overreaching". I had hoped
> my explanation provided context how it's both relevant and applicable to
> the activities of the CA/Browser Forum, and independent of any
> particular Root Stores perspective.

That was responding to a point made by you; you said it might be
inappropriate for the CAB Forum to require posting to m.d.s.p. And I
agree - it's outside the CAB Forum's remit. This is what I meant by the
"overreaching" I was avoiding. My proposed solution is that the BRs
require the existence of the report, and the root program requirements
say where it needs to be placed.

> In this context, I think it's useful to consider what is fundamentally a
> very simple proposal:
> - the CA/B Forum can establish a list that allows publishing of such reports
> - The Baseline Requirements require posting such results to that list

I'm ambivalent. It's one more thing for a CA to remember to do, and as
a root program person who will be requiring them to be sent to me
anyway, it doesn't add value for me. But I have no strong objection :-)