[cabfpub] Ballot 213 - Revocation Timeline Extension

Jeremy Rowley jeremy.rowley at digicert.com
Wed Sep 13 10:24:08 MST 2017

A 24 hour report to the CAB Forum doesn’t make sense if the length of the investigation is not tied to the understanding/interpretation of the CAB Forum requirement.  For example, if someone alleges a company changed addresses, revocation may be required under “information appearing in the Certificate is inaccurate or misleading”.  Information in the QIIS might not be updated, the contact person may be on vacation, etc.  This isn’t a CAB Forum issue so there’s no reason to report that it’s taking longer than 24 hours to complete the certificate problem report.

What should be required, imo, is a report to the entity submitting the certificate problem report about why it’s taken longer than the required 24 hours.  For investigation, what if we did:

*	24 hours required for the initial report
*	24 hours for the final report if the problem alleges X, Y, or Z
*	7 days for the final report for all other reasons.

Anything taking longer than 24 hours because of an issue with the CAB Forum requirements, must be reported to the CAB Forum.

Then revocation stays at:

*	24 hours required for X, Y, and Z
*	24 hours SHOULD for all other reasons
*	7 days required for all other reasons