[cabfpub] Path forward for DV cert subjects

Geoff Keating geoffk at apple.com
Fri Nov 3 15:16:47 MST 2017

…
> From the discussion on the list, I propose that we explicitly exclude countryName from Subject Identity Information.  As Geoff pointed out, historically some DV certs have included countryName and there is a process in the BRs for validation of countryName when it is the only item in the subject.
>
> What do others think?  Is it reasonable to allow DV certificates with countryName in the subject?

I guess it should also be mentioned that if you use the process in the BRs, you’re not really validating that the countryName is the country of the subscriber; in this case the countryName is the country of a domain name or IP address.  It’ll be a country associated with the subscriber but not necessarily the subscriber's home.  So I think it would be reasonable to exclude it from Subject Identity Information.

If we were up for some editing, I think it should be ‘Subscriber Identity Information’, though, not ‘Subject’.  The BRs are a bit confused about what a Subject might be:

… so, in a certificate with CN=www.example.com/O=Example <http://www.example.com/O=example> Inc./C=US, is the Subject ‘Example Inc.’, or ‘www.example.com’, and if the second, why is ‘www.example.com’ not Subject Identity Information, and if the first, then what is the Subject for ‘CN=www.example.com’?