[cabfpub] Preballot - Revised Ballot 190

Kirk Hall Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com
Fri May 19 06:00:23 UTC 2017

Good summary, Peter.

I can only say as someone who worked on Ballot 169 for over a year in the Validation Working Group (and who actually spearheaded it for many months, creating many updated drafts that showed changes from the prior seven domain validation methods, including elimination of the dreaded "any other method" number 7) that never, at any time, did any participant in the Validation Working Group express an opinion that these incremental improvements in validation methods should be interpreted as requiring revalidation of domains that had previously been validated under BR 3.2.2.4 as written.

Instead, it was the universal view that BR 4.2.1 (and the corresponding EVGL 11.14.3) would allow reuse of existing domain validation data derived from the old validation methods for the periods stated in those sections.  As you know, the permitted reuse period for DV and OV certs already will be reduced from 39 months to 825 days next March 1, and the EVGL provisions already limit reuse of domain validation data for EV certificates to 13 months -- that is what is intended by Ballot 190.  Any other interpretation is new, and was never a part of the Validation Working Group's intention in drafting Ballots 169 and 190.  Most CAs have already shifted to the new validation methods for new domain validations, even though the ballot has not yet been adopted, so change is already underway.

As Gerv said a few weeks ago, requiring revalidation of all outstanding domains every time there is an incremental improvement in domain validation methods will turn out to be a tremendous disincentive to ever adopt such incremental improvements.  If there is ever a strong evidentiary showing that a particular existing validation method has *actually* resulted in a meaningful number of misissued certificates, everyone would likely agree to improving the validation method immediately and launching a campaign to revalidate all the affected domains over a short, reasonable period.  However, in our current discussion of Ballot 190, no such strong evidentiary showing has ever been made by anyone, and so Ballot 190 clarifies that the long-standing rule permitting reuse of proper validation data under BR 4.2.1 and EVGL 11.14.3 continues in place.