[cabfpub] Domain validation

Jeremy Rowley jeremy.rowley at digicert.com
Tue May 16 15:55:24 UTC 2017

Answering in reverse order:

2) Subdomains are labels to the left of a verified FQDN. Authorization domains are labels to the right. The reasons for a definition are:

a. Under Section 3.2.2.4, the CA is verifying the FQDN.  This verification process for some methods may rely on an Authorization Domain Name but the verification is tied to a FQDN (per 3.2.2.4).

b. Most CAs reuse verification of an FQDN to issue certificates that are sub-domains of a verified FQDN. Whether this is allowed is ambiguous under 169/190.

c. Wildcard domains are always sub-domains of a verified FQDN. Wildcards are called out in the definition of an Authorization Domain Name. However, verification of a Wildcard Domain Name is never addressed in the actual section.

d. There could be cases where we don’t want to permit a method to issue certificates for sub-domains.  Better to split the permissions out so we can discuss each method individually and provide clarity around the circumstances permitting reuse of validation information.

1) The document is presented as a ballot because I based the revisions on 190.  If there are discrete sub-components someone doesn’t like, I don’t mind breaking it up into chunks.  Some of the reasons for the proposal:

a) As mentioned above, wildcard domains are questionable about how they are validated.

b) The language is inconsistent. For example, method 1 says the CA is “confirming control”. We then switch terminology to “validation”. Following that switch, we move to “authenticate”. Do each of these words mean something different?

c) The language is unclear on reuse of validation information. Splitting the info out per section so we can change it on a per-validation type basis. Right now reuse is not defined, which means it could either require a validation per issuance or permit reuse for the 825 day period.

d) Under method 2, who creates the Random value? The CA specifies the value and send its via email. Seems like the CA should create it as well.

e) Under method 2, the interplay in these three sentences is odd:

“The Random Value SHALL be unique in each email, fax, SMS, or postal mail.”

“The CA or Delegated Third Party MAY resend the email, fax, SMS, or postal mil in its entirety, including re-use of the Random Value, provided that the communication's entire contents and recipient(s) remain unchanged.”

“The Random Value SHALL remain valid for use in a confirming response for no more than 30 days from its creation. The CPS MAY specify a shorter validity period for Random Values, in which case the CA MUST follow its CPS.”

Does this mean you can resend for 30 days? Can you send it after 30 days? Why does one sentence say it must be unique but the other permit resending?

Etc.