[cabfpub] Domain validation

Dimitris Zacharopoulos jimmy at it.auth.gr
Tue May 16 06:07:45 UTC 2017

Jeremy,

This is excellent work and helps people understand each method a lot better.

Some comments:

"The CA MUST record the subsection and version of the Baseline
Requirements used to validate an Applicant’s control over each FQDN
included in an issued certificate"

When is this expected to become effective?

In methods 3.2.2.4.1, 3.2.2.4.2, 3.2.2.4.3,  b (2), you say that the CA
must verify that the WHOIS information for the Base Domain has not
changed since the CA performed the verification process. Is this the
WHOIS information record itself or should CAs be looking for the Domain
Contact to appear in the WHOIS record? I'm asking because some WHOIS
databases do not release Domain Contact information and CAs require an
official document from the Domain Registrar that contains information
about the domain owner and contacts for the initial domain validation.

For example, this is the WHOIS record for example.gr:

Domain Name:example.gr
Domain Handle:dr-1234-gr
Protocol Number:1234
Creation Date:24-07-1997
Expiration Date:31-12-2017
Updated Date:05-11-2015
Registrar:FOO
Registrar Referral URL:http://www.FOO.gr
Registrar Email:registrar at FOO.gr
Registrar Telephone:+30.123456
Whois Server:
Bundle Name:example.gr
Name Server:XXXX.example.gr
Name Server:XXXXXX.example.gr

According to your proposal, CAs only need to check if the record above
has not changed?

Also, there is a small typo in the 3rd paragraph of 3.2.2.4.2 a (FQNs
--> FQDNs).

Thanks,
Dimitris.