[cabfpub] Profiling OCSP & CRLs

Dimitris Zacharopoulos jimmy at it.auth.gr
Sat May 13 15:47:09 UTC 2017

This is a very good description of the situation and the comparison of
the security concerns between the Certificate issuing system
(certificates signed by a CA) and the OCSP responder system (responses
signed by either the CA or a delegated OCSP responder), is fair.

Could we try to focus what should be expected for the off-line Root CAs
and their delegated OCSP responders? Roots that delegate OCSP responses
via OCSP responder Certificates and issue responses for 12 months (per
BRs 4.9.10), should probably have a minimum lifetime of 12 months to
match the validity of the OCSP response. Currently, the BRs are silent
about how an OCSP responder should protect its key, so perhaps we could
have similar (or the same) protection controls for Private Keys
associated with OCSP Responder Certificates that are delegated from
Roots, as the Private keys associated with the Root Certificates.

Would it be reasonable to allow for 1-year OCSP responder Certificates
if the Private Key associated with that responder certificate is
treaded/protected similarly as the Root Private Keys?

Of course, it would take a while before CAs adapt to such a change,
especially for pre-generating OCSP responses and serving them to web
clients through a separate layer.

Thanks,
Dimitris.