[cabfpub] Profiling OCSP & CRLs

Tim Shirley TShirley at trustwave.com
Thu May 11 18:28:38 UTC 2017

Ah yes, good point.  Both the private key of the responder cert AND the system used to generate the OCSP responses need to have comparable protections/controls to the private key of the associated online CA AND the system used to generate certificates from that CA.  I believe if you achieve that, then you’ve done all you can do there, especially since the CA itself could be used to sign the responses directly if you’ve compromised the system to that degree.

That being said, I don’t see any insurmountable issues with requiring 30 day lifespans for online CA OCSP responders either.  Since the CA is online, renewal of its OCSP responders could be automated.  The challenging one is the offline CA case.  I’m not particularly fond of pre-production either, but didn’t have any better suggestions.  I agree the pre-produced responder certificates would have to be very carefully protected (ideally offline) in that scenario to provide any meaningful security improvement.  But perhaps the mechanism of deploying those responders wouldn’t have to be as much of a production as accessing the offline CA would be, since a leaked responder would only be useful if there was also a non-administrative need to revoke an online CA during (or prior to) the responder’s validity period.  That would enable the rotation to be performed more frequently than would otherwise be practical.  You’re still going to want a hard limit on how far in advance you could pre-produce them, but maybe that can be on the order of 6-12 months instead of having to access your root CA keys every 3 weeks or so to meet a 30 day requirement.