[cabfpub] Ballot 190

Rob Stradling rob.stradling at comodo.com
Tue May 2 15:11:22 UTC 2017

Ryan, please could you expand on precisely how and why it's technically
'incorrect' to do, for example, the following...

Root (Certificate Policies: none, so effectively anyPolicy)
   Intermediate (Certificate Policies: just the BR DV OID)
     Leaf (Certificate Policies: the BR DV OID and 2.23.140.x.y.z)

...or even...

Root (Certificate Policies: none, so effectively anyPolicy)
   Intermediate (Certificate Policies: a CA-specific EV OID)
     Leaf (Certificate Policies: the same EV OID and 2.23.140.x.y.z)

?

In other words, under what RFC5280-conforming circumstances would the
fact that 2.23.140.x.y.z doesn't appear in the Intermediate certificate
actually make any difference to the outcome?

My reading of 5280 section 6 this morning (fueled by insufficient
coffee, I have to admit) was that: each of the policy OIDs in a cert are
processed independently; it's sufficient to match _just one_ OID in the
Leaf and Intermediate (in my examples above, that's the BR DV OID or the
CA-specific EV OID); therefore, the non-matching of 2.23.140.x.y.z would
never actually matter (as long as the BR DV OID, or the CA-specific EV
OID, or anyPolicy, are in the set of permitted policies).

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist