[cabfpub] CAA Customer Identifier

Jeremy Rowley jeremy.rowley at digicert.com
Mon May 15 18:45:43 UTC 2017

Although CAA significantly narrows the scope of issuers, a tag identifying
the customer/account where issuance permitted would significantly reduce
spam domain control emails. Despite CAA limiting issuance of a domain to
DigiCert, we may still have a dozen entities trying to request the same
domain. In fact, I suspect the number of requested bad domains will increase
on our side if a CAA record is present. Although we have methods to control
spam validation emails, a bad actor could create accounts and annoy
customers hoping the domain is inadvertently approved. To limit this, I'd
like to create a CAA tag that is customerID. Something like:

CAA 0 register "customer ID=[ID provided by CA]"

The requirement in the RFC for creating tags is to register the tag with
IANA. I thought I'd float the idea here first though. If there's interest,
we could combine it with a validation method restriction

CAA 0 register "customer ID=[ID provided by CA] validationMethod=[Validation
Method OID]"

Jeremy