[cabfpub] Which CAs must be audited

Doug Beattie doug.beattie at globalsign.com
Mon May 1 18:41:33 UTC 2017

Hi Peter,

I understand how NC values for domain names relate to CA certificates that have ServerAuth or Secure email, but I’m not sure about Code Signing, client  auth, document signing and time stamping.

-          Is the list of required DN fields listed anywhere for these types to be considered to be Name Constrained? Could I NC an OU field and call it name constrained if that is all I wanted in the subject of the issued certificates?

o   NC in RFC5280 decomposes to:

§  GeneralSubtrees, then to

§  GeneralName then to

§  a choice of rfc822Name,  dNSName, directoryName (Name), and more

o   If we NC by Name (decomposes to RelativeDistinguishedName), what specific AttributeTypes are needed?  Perhaps some of the cert types have rules about what MUST go into their DN, but that’s not the case for all of them (e.g., client auth).

o   So, what constitutes NC in those cases?  Is NC meaningful?

-          Side question: Do any of “these” applications enforce name constraints?  If not, what’s the point (other than not being required to perform WT audits, which doesn’t bother me a bit…just asking)