[cabfpub] Preballot - Revised Ballot 190

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri May 19 06:04:25 MST 2017

Hi Ryan,

On 19/05/17 13:12, Ryan Sleevi via Public wrote:
> Luckily, this is an incorrect interpretation of what's required. It
> would only affect those domains affected by those changed validation
> methods,

Indeed, but the point is, many CAs currently do not have records of
which method was used, and so surely this would mean "all domains" for
those CAs?

> only if they're changed in incompatible ways,

Do you consider the current form of the 10 Blessed Methods to have
"changed in incompatible ways" from the seven methods we had in the BR
1.3.x timeframe? I'd say they all probably have. So again, isn't this
"all domains"?

> and only when an
> applicant requests a certificate.

Well yes, but if otherwise you could reuse the data as often as
necessary for the normal reuse period, this is still a significant
increase in work.